What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Caribbean Banana Soup with Corn, Chipotle, and "Your Choice of Additional Vegetables"








Every once in a while you come across your own creation that originated because you just did not have the ingredients you wanted for a recipe, but craved that recipe so bad you were "jonesing" to make it. That's How I came across this "Caribbean Banana Soup with Corn, Chipotle, and "Your Choice of Additional Vegetables". I had a recipe for Caribbean Plantain Soup with Corn and Chili from a Caribbean Cookbook that I purchased years ago for a bargain of $3.99 at Borders Books. I did not have plantains, but always had bananas in my weekly kitchen stock. Corn-Yes I did have that. Green Chili? Well...as substitute was needed. Voila! Although bananas are sweeter than plantains, they are pretty similar; and, I have heard of people using bananas as a substitute for plantains although this changes the taste to a bit sweeter and the bananas are not as firm plantains. I used chipotle peppers in adoba sauce in place of the green chilis. What resulted was a beautiful sweet and hot/spicy Caribbean soup that "knocked my socks off hands down!" I impressed myself. I am not bragging, but just saying...I amazed myself that in this pot was a creation of sweet and hot, hot and spicy, sweet and spicy in each bite. I had to share this creation that resulted just because I was jonesing for a Caribbean plantain soup, and came out with a Caribbean bananas soup that was filling alone by itself.

Reheating soup for variety each night:

When I reheated for my dinner on different nights (I usually freeze individual soup servings for myself for quick after work meals), I added different vegetables when reheating each time.
- One night I added chopped collard greens to the soup that I rolled and chopped, and placed in the soup after it heated up completely. I just let the soup heat up with the collard greens for 2-3 minutes.
- Another night, I added to the soup chopped beet greens, kale, and collards.
- Another night, I added okra, sweet potatoes, and kale.

All individual servings were filling as a soup by itself, and my mouth was feeling as though it had an awesome party going on inside.

Caribbean Banana Soup with Corn, Chipotle, and "Your Choice of Additional Vegetables"

Serving Size: 4 servings

Bananas Nutritional Value: (excerpt from Whole Foods. org) Source of potassium, an essential mineral for maintaining normal blood pressure and heart function. A banana a day may help to prevent high blood pressure and protect against atherosclerosis. Bananas also help to improve eyesight and build bigger bones.

Ingredients:
1 TBSP olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
10 oz banana sliced in 1/2" to 1" slices (about 2 medium to large size bananas sliced the short way)
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 cup of corn kernels
1 tsp dried parsley
3-3/4 cup of vegetable stock; or 3 -3/4 cup of water heated with a vegan bouillon cube
1 medium chipotle in adoba sauce, chopped (larger or 2 chipotles chopped if you want an even hotter and spicier soup)
1/8 tsp clove
ideas of additional vegetables added: chopped collard greens, chopped kale, chopped spinach, chopped beet greens, okra, carrots, sweet potatoes, or whatever you prefer

How to cook:
1. Heat up olive oil in a stock pot over medium heat.
2. Add the onion and garlic. Cook until soft.
3. Add the banana, tomato, and corn. Cook for 5 minutes
4. Add the parsley, vegetable stock, chipotle pepper. Simmer for about 10 minutes
5. Stir in the clove, and serve immediately.
6. If you add additional vegetables, add when soup is almost done for the last 5 minutes. If adding sweet potatoes, add the sweet potatoes about 10 minutes before soup is done for not too soft sweet potatoes, but almost like an "al dente" bite. Serve.

No comments: