What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Hard day at the office? Relax your dogs and let this beauty do the cooking!




“The man who sees, on New Year's Day, Mount Fuji, a hawk, and an eggplant is forever blessed”. —Old Japanese proverb

Beautiful Eggplant: You are deep purple almost black. Mysterious beauty and gorgeous smooth soft skin. I run my hands across your body, and I love your curves. Your curves remind me of my own African beauty: vivacious, delicious, curvaceous, and beautiful through and through. You are beautiful. I call you black beauty. ~ Sister Vegetarian


Eggplant. Beautiful. Succulent. Nutritious. Quick after work meals in 20 meals or less. Eggplants provide a quick after work meal for busy schedules.

Serving Size: 1 Large Eggplant can make 4 -6 sandwiches
Eggplant Cost: approximately $1.79 per lb.
Nutitional Value: High in Dietary Fiber; Folate; Potassium; Vitamins C, K, Thiamin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Copper; Brain Food; Antioxidant; Cardiovascular health benefits.

Ingredients:
Eggplant
Vegan Mayonnaise
Flat bread (chapati, flat-out, or lavash bread)
Tomatoes
Onions
Shredded collard leaves, spinach, or kale

How to Cook:
1. Slice Eggplant for ½ inch to 1 inch rounds.
2. Use extra virgin oil olive to lightly coat a pan (I use a cookie sheet)
3. Brush olive oil on sliced eggplant, add mesquite seasoning, and a few drops of liquid smoke.
Place on pan
4. Cook 8 -10 minutes on each side in broiler for an outdoor grilled taste.
5. Voila! Eggplant that takes as though grilled outside!


How to Serve:
1. Serve as a sandwich on flat-out, lavash, or chapatti bread. I toast my flat bread of choice in the broiler until crisp. I place vegan mayonnaise on each side of the flat bread.
2. Place grilled eggplant on top of vegan mayonnaise
3. Add tomatoes, onions, shreds of collards leaves (or, spinach or kale broken up)
4. Top with other half of flat bread and vegan mayonnaise
5. Slice flat bread in half and serve.



6. Optional: I love to serve with slice sweet potatoes oven fried in broiler with a little olive oil and seasoning of choice such as mesquite seasoning. Sweet potatoes can be grilled with eggplant in one pan at 8 -10 minute son each side just like the eggplant. Quick and easy after a long work day!

picture of sweet potatoes oven fried in a little
olive oil with a sandwich being stuffed with
eggplants, onions,spinach, tomatoes,
and vegan mayonnaise
Other serving option: Serve grilled eggplant on top of a Live Collard Salad:

Live Collard Salad and Grilled Eggplant with a side bowl of Tahini Dressing

No comments: