What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Day Recipes: Two Vegan Bread Recipes (includes today's dinner sandwich made from vegan bread)

It's a snow day my southern state. Snow arrived starting at 7:00 PM yesterday and did not end until early this afternoon. When it snows in the South, everything closes, we are in a state of emergency, and no one goes anywhere. What did I do today? I baked two vegan breads; created a new work lunch time meal that I will include in my lunchbox series soon; and, finished knitting one sock of my pair of socks knitting pattern. Call me "Susie Home-Maker", or just "Old-School" making use of a day of rest that I much needed...smile.



No-Knead Wheat-Oat-Flaxseed-Raisin Bread
(Sister Vegetarian's own creation)

Servings: 1 loaf baked in approximately 8-1/2 " x 4-1/2" in bread loaf pan
Preparation and Mixing of Ingredients: 5 mins. to 7 mins.
Baking time: 1 hour, or until done

Ingredients:

1 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup apple juice
1 very ripe banana, mashed
¼ cup raisins
1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
2 TBSP ground flaxseed
3 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tsps instant yeast (I did not have yeast and was jonesing for homemade vegan bread today, so I used a popular yeast substitute: 1 tsp baking soda + tsp lemon juice)
1/4 cup rice milk
½ tsp sea salt
3 cups whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour)

Directions:

1. Grease an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan with a vegetable oil

2. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Beat the mixture vigorously for about 3 minutes, or use an electric mixer set on high speed for 3 minutes. You should have very sticky dough. It won't be pourable, but neither will it be kneadable. Scoop it into the prepared pan.

3. Cover the pan with lightly greased parchment paper, and let it rise for 90 minutes on your counter.

4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

5. Uncover the bread, and bake for first 15 minutes then use aluminum foil to place over it like a tent. Then bake for another 45 minutes. Insert a knife to make sure it comes out clean to determine if the bread is done.

6. Cool the bread completely before slicing it. I sliced the bread, and stored it in a freezer bag in my refrigerator. It can also be stored in the freezer, and reheated as it is used.

**************************************************
Vegan Corn Bread

(original recipe found at Post Punk Kitchen but I changed a few ingredients such as using wheat flour instead white flour and rice milk instead of soy milk; and, adding ground cinnamon and ginger)
Serving Suggestions: I made this to accompany my mexican, south american, and spanish soups and stews such as Black Bean Soup, Gazpacho, and Red Bean Stew.
Preparation and Mixing time: 5 to 7 minutes
Baking Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Serving Size: 12- 15 individual cornbreads

Ingredients:

2 cups cornmeal
1 cup King Arthur Wheat Flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
2 cups rice milk
2 teaspoons Braggs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 tsp Sea Salt



Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Grease an approximate 9x13 glass baking pan

3. In a bowl, wisk together the rice milk and the vinegar and set aside.

4. In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients (cornmeal, wheat flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, and salt).

5. Add the oil and maple syrup to the rice milk mixture. Wisk with a wire wisk or a fork until it is foamy and bubbly, about 2 minutes.

6. Pour the wet ingredient into the dry and mix together.

7. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan and bake 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

8. Slice into squares and serve warm. I stored in freezer bags in my refrigerator, or you can store in the freezer.

*************************************************
Sister's Grilled Eggplant on toasted
Vegan Wheat-Oat-Flaxseed-Raisin Bread
Ingredients:

2 slices of above home-made Wheat-Oat-Flaxseed-Raisin Vegan Bread, toasted

2 slices of eggplant

1/2 cup of red and yellow bell peppers (for a quick meal, I used frozen already sliced bell peppers, defrosted)

1/2 cup of sliced onion

Mesquite Seasoning to taste

1 tsp of Colgin Liquid Smoke (a vegan product that contains no animal by-products and is gluten-free)

Olive oil to lightly oil cookie sheet, and to drizzle on eggplant, bell peppers, and onions

Sandwich stuffers:
Vegan Mayonnaise
Kale (leaves broken by hand, rather than chopped)
Tomatoes
Additional Sliced Raw Onions
Optional side servings:
Tahini Dressing
Red wine

Directions:

1. Toast home-made Bread: From the bread I baked today, I placed 2 slices in my toaster

2, Pre-heat oven broiler

3. Use olive oil to lightly coat cookie sheet

4. Place on a cookie sheet 2 eggplants, 1/2 cup of sliced red and yellow bell peppers, and 1/2 cup on sliced onions

5. To taste, sprinkle mesquite seasoning and Colgin Liquid Smoke on the eggplant, bell peppers, and onions.

6. Broil for 8 - 10 minutes

7. Take vegetables out of broiler

8. Place vegan mayonnaise on both sides of bread. Then add eggplant, and broiled bell peppers and onions.

9. Add on each side of sandwich: a sliced tomato, Kale leaves, and raw onions.

10. Close sandwich and slice in half.

* * 11. Optional: As a side dip, I used a Tahini Dressing to dip the sandwich in as I eat and served with a glass of red wine.

No comments: