A combination of Lentils and Beets is common in many Indian stews and warm the body on a winter day; but, when you turn it into a summer salad, you also provide nourishment for the body without the heat properties of a winter stew.
This lentil and beet salad provides great cancer fighting, immune-boosting, and antioxidant properties. If you are active, the lentils are a great source of protein and energy. I found this recipe in a running magazine, but catered it to my specifications for quick meal that can easily be refrigerated by lunch or dinner leftovers.
Beets and Lentil Salad
1 bunch of beets (3 medium size beets), washed, and unpeeled (the skin of beets provide great antioxidants. The power is also in the skin so do not peel!)
1/2 onion minced
1 cup of carrots, sliced in rounds
1 cup of celery, chopped
2 TBSP olive oil
1 cup of vegetable stock
1/2 cup of water
2 bay leaves
Dressing for beet and lentil salad:
2 medium cloves of garlic, minced
2 tsp lemon juice
1 TBSP Braggs Organic 24 Seasonings
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
2 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp habanero, tabasco, or any hot sauce
How to make:
1. slice beets in 1 inch strips, set aside
2. saute onions, carrots, and celery in 2 TBSP olive oil in a large pot
3. Add lentils, beets, vegetable stock, and water. Stir to mix.
4. Boil, then cover and reduce to medium. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until lentils are tender (beets will then be tender at the same time as the lentils)
5. Drain excess water, and pour into a mixing bowl.
6. Place mixing bowl in refrigerator to cool for 10 minutes
7. Take bowl out of refrigerator and add beet and lentil dressing. Mix dressing with beet and lentil mixture.
8. Serve as is, or with crusted Italian bread with olive oil, garlic, and basil.
~ Sister Vegetarian