My meal tonight was Ethiopian Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew. I wanted to prepare a meal that replenished my muscles and gave me renewed energy after running 6 miles yesterday. The Ethiopian Chickpea and Sweet Potato Stew provides 16 grams of protein, 14 g of fiber, and 107 grams of carbohydrates per serving-this meal is nutrient and energy packed! I did not peel the sweet potatoes because the nutrients are also in the skin of the potato - why dispose of nutrients our body needs! Use all the potato - it's all good.
For a more North African and Middle Eastern meal, I served my stew on top of a bed of Bulghur. Bulghur is indigenous to North African and Middle Eastern Cuisines. Serving Bulghur with this stew took me to the sights, sounds, and beautiful smells of North African cuisines without leaving my kitchen.
Leftovers are easily frozen, I suggest individual serving containers for freezing because you can just defrost and heat for a quick after work meal, or lunch.
Ethiopian Berbere Paste (recipe below)
2 medium sweet potatoes, cleaned, unpeeled and cubed
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups undrained can fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 cups fresh cut or frozen cut okra
1/4 cup cilantro
1-1/2 cups spinach, turnip, mustard, collard, or beet greens
2 15-1/2 oz cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
Bulghur, Couscous, or Brown Rice
Garnish: Habanaro Hot Pepper Sauce per serving dish
How to Cook:
How to Cook:
1. Prepare Berbere Paste in a small food processor
6 cloves of garlic, peeled (no need to chop when adding to food processor)
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
2 tsp smoked paprika
1-1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2. Prepare Bulghur, Couscous, or Brown Rice as directed on package
3. PREPARING THE STEW: Mix all ingredients above along with Berbere paste in a large pot. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for 15 minutes, covered.
4. Uncover stew, and cook additional 10 minutes on simmer.
5. Add spinach or greens, and cilantro and cook an additional 5 minutes on simmer.
6. Serve for each person stew on top of a bed of Bulghur, Couscous, or Brown Rice
7. Garnish each serving as desired with Habanaro Hot Pepper Sauce.
~ Sister Vegetarian