What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Friday, October 8, 2010

I know...that I know..that I know I CAN, so energize me: Vegetarian Tortilla Roll-Up




The evening before my 12 mile run last week, I made a vegetarian tortilla roll up to pre-fuel my early Sunday run. My plan as usual was to do a straight run-no breaks for walking as interval training-in order to see what my body can do when putting my mind to it. The result was a beautiful run, that felt more as though I was in a zen-peaceful mode for 12 straight miles. The run lifted me on a cloud of peace, euphoria, joy, enlightenment, and inspiration-all this as I ran for close to 2 hours non-stop. I felt so great that I danced on the porch of my house after I ran to one last song on my MP3, and proceeded to take my dog for a walk. What fueled me?
I maintain my argument that a vegetarian lifestyle gives us insurmountable energy to be all that we can be and do if we think positive.
I took a long hiatus from running although I still hiked and backpacked. I began running again in mid July this year. That first week, 3 miles was a huff and puff, but I kept increasing my miles. The next week, my longest run was 4 miles, then 5 to 12 last weekend without any huffing and puffing. Remember, in 10 weeks after starting running again after a long hiatus, I placed 4th in my 40-44 age group and 33 overall of 285 runners at a running pace of 8:40 minutes per mile to complete a 3.1 mile race (5K) in 26:54 minutes. In 2 weeks I have a 10 mile race which I already ran 12 miles last week. In 4 weeks, I have my half marathon of 13.1 miles but I'm running 13 miles this weekend to train anyway. I am running without being out of breath. I am finishing my runs full of energy and able to run more miles; but, I must come to my senses to not over train too soon. My advancement from 3 miles to 13 miles in 2 months is not always done, but I maintain that a vegetarian lifestyle gives you the energy and strength to go the extra mile.
I read in the book "Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen " that "to be a strong runner, you must be a strong person." I truly believe that. I feel and I am strong as I lead this vegetarian journey.

A vegetarian lifestyle = energy=fuel=going above and beyond=I know...That I Know...That I Know..That I KNOW I CAN!

My prefuel meal consisted of a tortilla rolled around pinto beans, avocado, and tomatoes as well as other nutritious additions. The pinto beans and Greek Yogurt provided protein for building and rebuilding my muscles; the tortilla provided energy via carbs; the avocado provided a natural source of good fat; and, the tomato provided an antioxidant.

Energizing Tortilla Pinto Bean Roll-up (1 serving)

Ingredients:
1 Flour Tortilla
Greek Plain Yogurt, 3 TBSP
1/2 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup of frozen corn, heated for 2 mins in a pot.
1/2 cup onions, sliced in strips
1 cup turnip greens
2 slices of 1 tomato, cut in quarters
half avocado, diced
shredded cheese of choice
ground chipotle pepper to season

How to Prepare:
1. Warm up a tortilla until just warmed, not crisp in the oven or microwave
2. On the tortilla, spread the Greek Yogurt. Sprinkle ground chipotle pepper on tortilla for desired seasoned amount.
3. Next on the tortilla, spread out the pinto beans, corn, turnip greens, tomatoes, onions, avocado, and cheese.
4. Roll up the tortilla, and slice in half.
5. Plate and serve.
~ Sister Vegetarian

2 comments:

Jodi said...

This looks amazing! I love that you've added avocado to the mix. Thanks for the recipe! I'm going to try this one out this weekend.

Sister Vegetarian said...

Jodi- Thank you :) I hope you do try it soon:) It's delicious and fueling :)
~ Donna "Sister Vegetarian"