What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Another Quick Meal on the Go!! Saute Chayote and Wheat Pasta

Quick. Delicious. Nutritious. The buttery beets plays against the beautiful buttery flavor of the Chayote. The garlic adds a little spice and blends with the natural buttery taste of the vegetables.

Chayote is a fruit that is similar to squash. Some people categorize it in the family of squash due to its taste, and preparation. Chayote is native to Costa Rica and Mexico. I am seeing it more in grocery stores where the US cultivates it in Florida. Chayote can be eaten raw by slicing in salads as an example, or saute like squash for a quick meal. It can also be boiled or grilled just like squash. No need to peel Chayote. Just wash and pat dry.

I made a quick 20 minute meal of saute Chayote, beets, and turnip greens served over wheat spaghetti.
Ingredients:

1 serving of wheat spaghetti
2 hand bunch of turnip greens, chopped roughly. I kept the stems and saute also
1 small Chayote with skin left on

1 small beet with skin left on
2 cloves of garlic
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Garlic Salt
Black Pepper
* side serving-Italian Bread-warmed until crusted and drizzled with warm olive oil and sprinkled with Braggs Organic 24 Seasonings
Preparation:

-Boil water for a serving of pasta as directed on the box.
-After cleaning the Chayote and beets, I sliced 1 small Chayote and 1 small beet into 1 inch slices. -I then sliced 2 garlic cloves. I heated 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a pan and saute the Chayote, beets, and garlic.
-As the vegetables saute, add the pasta to the boiling water.
-The pasta should cook approximately 8-10 minutes for al dente. Within that time, continue to saute the vegetables and add the turnip greens to the saute pan the last 3 minutes.

-Season the vegetables as desired with garlic salt and black pepper.
-Drain the pasta, and plate.
-Drizzle a little olive oil on the pasta and place the saute vegetables on top.
-I served with crusted Italian bread also drizzled with olive oil,m and sprinkled with Braggs Organic 24 Seasoning.

Quick. Delicious. Nutritious. The buttery beets plays against the beautiful buttery flavor of the Chayote. The garlic adds a little spice and blends with the natural buttery taste of the vegetables. ~ Sister Vegetarian



No comments: