Another creative recipe from Sister Vegetarian using beets, whole, as is. Leave the skin on because...well...why peel beets when you have all the nutrients on the skin and the beet root itself. In addition, I never discard my beet greens and stems ,so I use the entire greens in the recipe for a one-serving quick after work meal or just a meal when you feel like "what should I have for a dinner" is a chore. But, with all the world recipes open to vegans and vegetarians, Sister have yet to pose this question. Be creative in the kitchen and let your creative sparks light up your kitchen.
Music I cooked by in this recipe:
Pink Floyd's "The Wall"
Sister's kitchen setup:
Sister is unique and funky in my home setup. No snobbery here. I love homey and things I love. Home is a place of comfort and an invitation for family and friends to kick off your shoes. Pictures of Marvel and DC comic Super heroes framing the wall and an apron I made from DC/Marvel comic fabrics. Have fun in the kitchen!! Vegan and Vegetarian cooking is fun, creative, and totally...totally...AWESOME!!
The whole beet and nothing but the saute beet, beet greens, and pinto beans (Vegan Recipe)
1 medium beet, washed, and sliced in 1to 1-1/2 inch strips with skin left on
Beet greens and stems, washed and roughly broken apart with your hands **(notes on beet greens: entire greens used from a beets bunch of 3 roots for 1 serving. Rather than use a knife to chopped my beet leaves, I use my hands to transfer my love energy into in my cooking. Remember...clean hands, yall)
1/2 cup of onions, sliced in strips
1/2 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 cubanelle pepper, chopped roughly
1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced (I did not devein or deseed because I love the slight fiery flavor. Deveining and deseeding is up to your taste)
Braggs 24 seasoning, to taste
*optional* 1/ tsp Colgin Liquid smoke (vegan) (note: the liquid smoke adds a grill-like taste to the beets)
2 TBSP Olive Oil
2-4 TBSP water
- Heat olive oil in a large pan
- Add beets roots, onions, cubanelle pepper, and jalapeno pepper. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add liquid smoke, saute for 1 minute.
- Add beet greens and beans. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add 2 TBSP of water, to braise ingredients for 5 to 8 more minutes until beet roots are slightly tender, but still somewhat crunchy (We do not want to overcook the nutrients of the beet roots and beet greens)
- Add Braggs 24 Seasonings to taste and combine with ingredients before serving.
- Serve on a plate or in a pasta dish with warmed, Tuscan-style Italian bread drizzled in olive oil and Braggs seasoning