Creativity in the kitchen again gave birth to another quick and nutritious whole foods based meal. My meals are comprised of 95% or more whole foods; consequently, when I want a veggie burger, I tend to opt for a whole foods patty version in place of the omnipresent bean burger patty which is usually comprised of a mixture of beans and rice, and maybe tofu, or seitan.
Beets...yes beets...make great hearty veggie sandwiches. The slightly cooked beets make this meal packed with antioxidants. Raw Turnip leaves also add an additional fortitude of antioxidants. I broil the beets for a short time with a drizzle of vegan liquid smoke for an outdoors grill taste. You can fire up your outdoor grill if you prefer a more authentic grilled taste, but it will not be on the grill for long. The result is a filling and delicious sandwich that is quick to make on a Friday or Saturday night. I stuffed it with raw turnips and sprinkled Nutritional Yeast on the beets after they were done for a cheesy taste. I accompanied my sandwich with oven fried Sweet Potatoes from Sweet Potatoes (not the frozen kind). Awesomely delicious!!!
Antioxidant Beet Burger with Sweet Potato Fries
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Fries:
- 1 medium sweet potato, washed, skin left on, sliced 1 inch thick
- Cajun spice, amount per preference
- olive oil
Ingredients for Beets Patty:
- 1 small beet, sliced 1/2 in thick (cleaned. skin left on for extra nutrients)
- 1 tsp vegan liquid smoke (Colgin is a vegan brand)
- 1-2 turnip leaves,depending on size of leaves to fit on sandwich
- 1/4 onion, sliced in strips
- 4 bread and butter style pickles, round sliced version (bread and butter pickles are sweet pickles - there is no butter in the ingredients...it's just a name for how they were once eaten with bread).
- 1 Tuscan style Italian sandwich bread, sliced for size of a sandwich and sliced open
- 1 TBSP vegan mayonnaise
- 1 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tsp Braggs Organic 24 Seasonings
Directions for Sweet Potato Fries:
- Preheat oven to broil
- Place sweet potatoes on pan
- drizzle a little olive oil on top of sweet potato slices
- sprinkle Cajun spice on top
- broil 7 -10 minuets on each side, until slightly crisp
- remove and set aside.Keep warm.
Directions for Beets Patty:
- Preheat oven to broil
- lightly oil broiler pan with olive oil
- Place beets on broiler pan, and drizzle with liquid smoke
- Broil for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove. beets will not be fully cooked, but tender enough where it's between raw and cooked.
- Lightly toast bread in oven on broil for 1 -2 minutes. You can also use a toaster.
- Layer on each side of the bread as follows:
- vegan mayonnaise
- beet slices
- Nutritional Yeast
- Braggs 24 Organic Seasonings
- turnip leaves
- Put sandwich together. Press down firmly and slice.
- Serve on plate with sweet potato fries. Can someone yell, Yummy!!
~ Sister Vegetarian