What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Cookbook Challenge: Vegan Tofu Cheese


If you are a newbie vegan jonesing for cdairy-based cheese, then you will have the VICTORY of being a successful vegan with this recipe Vegan Tofu Cheese Recipe! If you've been vegan for a while, then this recipe will add money in your wallet since vegan cheese can be costly at times. This weekend's Cookbook Challenge comes from the book 2010 Edition of Living Vegan for Dummies . This book is not only a wealth of information and resource for those considering veganism and new to veganism; but, it's a good resource even for those who have been vegan for a while or are veteran vegans. Today's recipe is Vegan Tofu Cheese (page 168).




It's hard to find vegan cheese where I live. If I do find vegan cheese, the price can be hefty. Many cheeses that are made for vegetarians, contain casein (a protein from milk); so, reading the labels on cheeses labeled vegetarian is paramount as a vegan. Even if you are a vegetarian, you may not want the casein in your cheese either due to reports of casein being linked to many cancers, especially breast cancer (read The China Study). Living Vegan for Dummies offer a quick 5 minute preparation recipe for vegan cheese. There are only 2 ingredients: a 14 to 16 oz package of tofu and miso paste. Place the tofu in a container that will be airtight for the refrigerator. You place the miso paste on the bottom, sides, and top of the tofu. Place a cheese cloth or cotton cloth over the cheese container and then seal with the container top (see my pictures). You let the cheese sit for at least 8 hours to 3 days in the refrigerator without touching. 3 days provide a stronger flavor that in my opinion rocks! I tried the cheese after 8 hrs, 1 day, 2 days, and 3 days. The best taste was from the 3 days of marinating in the miso paste. This recipe is inexpensive, and many grocery stores (if not shopping at a whole foods) carries miso paste in the Asian-Inspired Food Aisles. This recipe is great on the wallet. My cheese lasted 7 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.


During the week, I made a vegan pizza with this cheese as well as made a spinach salad (spinach from my favorite Wise Farms farmer at the Farmers Market) with sundried tomaties and crumbled vegan tofu cheese.
This recipe is awesome and rocks!
~ Sister Vegetarian

No comments: