What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

In celebration of Mother's Day: A soup mom will make





Happy Mother's Day!



May your day be filled with beautiful happenings and joy.



In honor of Mother's Day, today's cookbook challenge comes from the cookbook Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. The recipe with a Garlic and Greens Soup that is filled with so many antioxidants that Ms. Goudreau even references preparing this soup if she feels a cold coming, or has a cold. I suffered from the usual pollen allergies recently, and made this soup to provide a relief from my allergies. Ms. Goudreau added yellow potatoes to her soup, but I decided to use purple potatoes for extra antioxidants.




I also made this soup a second time and added diced jalapeno peppers which provided a great remedy for my stuffy nose associated with the thick pollen allergic reaction during this time of season. This is a soup that I remember my mom and great-grandma preparing when I was a child; but, at that time it was called by it's southern name, "potlikker."




Ms. Goudreau does not give the actual recipe in her book for this Garlic and Greens soup; but, she does reference her website Compassionate Cooks for the video of the recipe and preparation details within the Greens section of her book.






~ Sister Vegetarian

No comments: