What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Explorations in Raw Veganism



For over a year, my weekly meals have always consisted of 30 to 40% (or more at times) of raw vegan meals. From my raw collard/mustard greens/ beets greens/kale wraps and salads to raw beet and turnip sandwiches. Vegetarianism and veganism will enable us to take back our health; but, through the incorporation of raw vegan meals, you will increase the nutrients and anti-oxidants in your body and immune system to fight illnesses and diseases.


As I have previously mentioned in past posts, my paternal family history is of cancer with two of my father's brothers passing away of colon and stomach cancer, respectively; and, a grand-uncle of lung cancer. My dad had beat prostrate cancer 20 years ago; however, 6 weeks ago he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. My maternal family history is of heart disease and diabetes. My reasons for going vegetarian and now vegan was to prevent these illnesses and heal my body. I wanted to be a part of the living walking and not the living dead. I wanted to have a chance at life. I wanted to give myself a fighting chance at preventing these illnesses that have plagued my family history. Vegetarianism and more so veganism can prevent, treat, and cure some diseases and illnesses. A neighbor's sister was cured of breast cancer through a vegan lifestyle as her treatment. A friend's best friend was cured of pancreatic cancer through a vegan lifestyle as his treatment. Neither went through chemo. I can't say if veganism is a cure-all, or will always cure those inflicted with cancer and other illnesses - I'm sure everyone is an individual case; however, at least we can adapt a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle to give ourselves a fighting chance at life. You just can't lose by going this way. If anything, you will gain health, vitality, and strength!

Today, I began my first sprouting of legumes to make a live raw vegan curry lentil soup from the blog Foods For Long Life. So, what is this sprouting thing? For sprouting definition click here.

Here's a diagram (click here) and a video (click here) from Kristen Suzanne, author of 12 Raw Vegan cookbooks (click here for access to Suzanne's website). Subsequently, I will also start on sprouting black beans and garbanzo beans to make other live raw vegan meals. Through the sprouting of legumes and beans, the proteins, iron, and other nutrients stay intact. When legumes or beans are cooked, they can lose up to 40% of their nutritional value. By incorporating raw vegan meals into your weekly meal plan, you can increase your immunity fighting power.



Part of the raw vegan curry lentil soup was the purchase of a coconut. It's been along time since I enjoyed a fresh coconut. The coconut water was so refreshing that I felt so alive after consuming the 1 cup of coconut water retrieved from the coconut. Coconut water is rich in electrolytes, thus making it naturally rehydrating. To illustrate coconut water's potency to refuel, in the running community coconut water has become the replacement for many electrolyte sports drinks. I also munched on some of the coconut meat that I set aside for the recipe. I forgot how FRESH and TASTEFUL coconut meat is when you purchase the whole coconut to open yourself. I really had to stop myself from munching on my raw soup preparations - I was in heaven between the coconut water and the coconut meat. I'm sorry...I must repeat it...it was AWESOME! Live raw vegan meals incorporated into your weekly meal plans can provide the additional lift you may need for the week.


An excellent cookbook for vegan and raw vegan meals that I have already reviewed in my Cookbook Challenge is Vegan Fusion World Cuisine: Extraordinary Recipes & Timeless Wisdom from the Celebrated Blossoming Lotus Restaurants . This cookbook provides vegan meals and raw vegan meals for those who would like to add some raw vegan meals into their weekly or monthly menus, for those transitioning to raw veganism, or for raw vegans looking for new live food recipes. This cookbook is an excellent vegan and raw vegan starter book! The recipes are simple and easy with definitions; instructions on sprouting varied legumes, beans, and grains; cooking beans and grains on the stove; inspiring quotes on every page; and, resources to find more information on living a vegan or raw vegan lifestyle.


Tomorrow is the raw vegan curry lentil soup day! I am so excited! Already in 24 hrs, my lentils have little sprouting tails. Lentils are probably the quickest legume to start with when just learning to sprout. Legumes only take 1-2 days to begin to show their little sprouting tails as opposed to other legumes or beans which may take 3 to 4 days. Well... good night my vegetarian and vegan family...before I turn in for the night, I'm so excited that I just want to look at my little sprouts again. So full of life to heal the body, mind, and soul! ~ Sister Vegetarian

No comments: