What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Two cancer prevention Raw Vegan recipes using the same Cantaloupe: Cantaloupe-Carrot Juice for breakfast and a Spicy Mexican-Style Cantaloupe Soup




Cantaloupe is high in Vitamin A and Beta-carotene. Cantaloupe a member of the cucumber family, and we know the wonderful benefits of cucumber from healthy skin to high Vitamin A. Health benefits of cantaloupe:


1. According to in-depth research studies, Vitamin A and Beta-carotene is linked to cancer prevention by repairing damaged cells.



2. If you are a diabetic, cantaloupe can lower your blood sugar content. (source WhFoods.com)



3. Stimulate the immune system and prevent coughs, colds and fevers. 4. High level of folic acid. Folic acid is part of the B vitamin family. Folic acid makes healthy new cells.



Two weeks ago, I purchased an organic cantaloupe. Can you believe that the price of the organic cantaloupe was the same as a non-organic cantaloupe, and larger. At the time of the purchase, I knew I wanted to make a raw vegan soup and juice from the cantaloupe, but decided to wait until it became the ripeness I wanted. I stored the cantaloupe towards the back of my refrigerator for 2 weeks to maintain its freshness and prevent from spoiling.

Yesterday, I decided to finally use this cantaloupe in two meals that stretched the dollar not only for one person, but even for a family of four when preparing the spicy cantaloupe soup. Both recipes below are from the same large cantaloupe. For Saturday's breakfast, I always make a juice drink at home for added antioxidants and cancer prevention properties.

Being that cancer has run in my family on my paternal side for years from uncles to recently my dad, prevention through raw vegan and vegan or vegetarian meals has been my gospel and crusade to all.

As I always said and to quote myself, "it is time that illnesses and diseases, especially those that we thought we genetic but in actually came be prevented, become a period and not a continuous comma." It is time to take a stand for your health daily. Live it daily. Don't fall back. Don't take 2 steps back; but if you do because we are only human and make mistakes, take three steps forward in the right-healthy direction. Call me the ministress of health. Call me Sister. Call me Donna. Whatever you address me by, know that my my mission is to spread the gospel of what a vegetarian, vegan, or raw vegan lifestyle can do positively to make your health your wealth; and, stop the myth that heart disease, as southern Blacks would say "the sugar" aka diabetes, cancer, and other illnesses are family related and there is no choice. There is a choice, and the answer is YOU!


Enjoy these two recipes below. For the raw vegan spicy cantaloupe soup that is served cold and not heated to maintain it's high nutrient content without loosing any vitamins,minerals, and nutrients, a family of 4 can be served for $5 total. That's $1.25 a person. Add the accompaniments of organic blue tortilla chips, and vegan sour cream with cilantro and fresh squeezed lemon as I suggested for even more of a Mexican Style meal. The accompaniments to the soup will not break the bank, and will place the entire meal still at under $10 for a family of four!


Ingredients for Both Recipes below:

The same 1 large organic cantaloupe. Shop around as I do, and you'll find that there are many organic produce can be the same price or even less expensive than non-organic produce.

Cantaloupe-Carrot Morning Raw Vegan Juice

Serving: 1


Ingredients:

6 organic carrots

1 cup of cubed, ripe cantaloupe (pulp and seeds removed. set aside remaining cantaloupe cubes for the soup below)

1 cup of organic collard leaves

Directions:

Juice the ingredients above. Drink right away to maintain the nutrients. This drink is naturally sweet, and wakes you up. I drank this at 8 AM and did not eat a lunch until 1 PM.


Raw Vegan Spicy Mexican-Style Cantaloupe Soup

Serves: 4 -5 ($1.00 to $1.25 per person)

Cost : $5.00

Ingredients:

approx 9-3/4 cup ripe, cubed cantaloupe (the remaining cantaloupe from the mornings raw vegan juice drink, pulp and seeds removed)

2 medium cucumbers, peeled and roughly chopped
3 garlic cloves
3 1-in slices of fresh ginger root (make sure the skin is peeled)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
juice of 1 medium lemon
2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1 jalapeno pepper, de-veined and de-seeded (leave a few seeds for my spiciness in soup)

1/4 tsp ground chipotle pepper

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp ground smoked paprika

1/2 cup water

Garnish:

1 cup mini sweet red and yellow peppers

fresh oregano leaves



Directions:

Mix all the ingredients above in a food processor except the garnish ingredients.

Once mixed and blended to almost a smooth consistency, stir in half the red and yellow sweet peppers

Place in the refrigerator in a container to chill for approximately 20 minutes

Serve in beautiful soup/pasta bowls and garnish with the remaining sweet red and yellow bell peppers and a few leaves of cilantro. Accompany this meal with the Mexican Vegan Sour Cream-Cilantro-Lemon Mixture and Organic Blue Tortilla Chips



additional accompaniments (makes the total meal under $10!):


Mexican Vegan Sour Cream-Cilantro-Lemon Mixture

Organic Blue tortillas




Mexican Sour Cream Recipe:



Ingredients:

1/2 cup vegan sour cream

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1/4 lemon, squeezed


Directions: Mix all of the above into well mixed and serve chilled










~ Sister Vegetarian

No comments: