What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Date Paste (Raw Vegan Recipe): use as an alternative to agave, sugar, maple syrup, and honey




Date Paste is a raw vegan recipe that is adaptable to many vegetarian and cooked vegan meals. It is easy to make and the only ingredients is dates and water! I prefer to use Medjool Dates, and my paste seem to take on a natural cinnamon undertone. Medjool Dates are nicknamed "The King of Dates" not only for their large size, but their taste!


Medjool Dates naturally have a a taste of rich caramel, honey, and cinnamon. Melt-in-your-mouth Medjools are so luscious they taste as if they have been warmed in an oven. If I have extra dates left over from a recipe as from my raw vegan strawberry jam recipe, to preserve the dates for easier use, I create a Date Paste.

Some uses of Date Paste:
Use in place of sugar, honey, maple syrup, or Agave syrup
Use in baking recipes such as breads, muffins, cornbread, cookies
Use to sweeten your tea and coffee
Add to soups, such as my Farmer's Market Autumn Butternut Squash and Pear Soup that I will be sharing with you this week
Use to make salad dressings
Use in place of any recipe or anything calling for a sweetener.

Date Paste Recipe

Ingredients:
1 lb Medjool Dates (take out pits)

1/2 cup of reserved water from the soaked dates

Directions:


1. Soak dates for 10 minutes in enough water to cover dates
2. Place in a food processor the dates and 1/2 cup of the reserved water the dates were soaked in. Process until smooth
3. Place in a reusable glass jar, and refrigerate for 2 weeks.

~ Sister Vegetarian

No comments: