What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Monday, September 19, 2011

Farmer's Market Butternut Squash-Pear Vegan Soup (uses the Date Paste Recipe I posted yesterday)



Farmer's Market Butternut Squash-Pear Soup

One way to fight against corporate GMOs (link for my 9-18-11 post on GMOs and Monsanto as now head of the US Farms and Safety Division) is to support your local Farmer. Some farmers do use organic or environmentally friendly methods of farming vegetables and fruit, but cannot afford the US fees to label their produce as organic at the Farmer's Market.

If you read my post yesterday on a Date Paste Recipe as a sweetener alternative, I use 2 TBSP of that Date Paste in this soup recipe.

This soup uses my butternut squash that I purchased a week and a half ago at my local Farmer's Market (link here for Framer's Market post $25 for 2 weeks of Framer's Market Produce)

This is a soup reminiscent of fall. The spiciness of the cinnamon, allspice, and coriander warms you and brings memories of a late Autumn Day. As I ate this soup, I thought of my child-hood days in New Jersey falling in a pile of just raked leaves, or coming in after playing in snow.

I also thought that this would be a great accompaniment to a Vegan or Vegetarian Thanksgiving meal. If serving as a side soup with a Thanksgiving or large meal, you will acquire 8 servings

Farmer's Market Butternut Squash-Pear Soup

Prep and Cooking Time: 40-45 minutes
Servings:
4 servings if served alone as a meal
8 servings if served to accompany a larger meal, such as a Vegan/Vegetarian Thanksgiving Meal

Ingredients:
1 medium to large butternut squash, peeled and diced
2 pears
1 red onion, peeled and diced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cups vegan vegetable stock
2 tsps dried oregano
2 tsps black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsps ground coriander
2 TBSP date paste (click here for recipe from my prior post)
1 tsp dry rosemary

Directions:
1. Sauté butternut squash, pear, and onion in olive oil for 5-10 minutes on medium-high heat in a large pot
2. Add vegetable stock and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat to simmer.
3. Simmer 20 minutes
4. Place soup in a food processor and puree until smooth
5. Return to the pot to reheat.
6. Thinner soup: If soup is too thick, add approximately 1/2 cup increments to the pot until desired consistency is reached.
7. Thicker soup: If thicker soup is desired, continue to simmer until preferred thickness is reached.
8. Soup in nice pasta/soup bowls with crusty Italian bread.

~ Sister Vegetarian

No comments: