What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Farmer's Market Vegan Flat-Bread Pizza with Home-Made Vegan Garlic-Basil Pizza Dough

Before baking pizza:


After pizza is baked: I sliced pizza in half. You can serve in quarters, thirds, or in halfs as I have sliced in this picture

This pizza is another vegan meal from my Saturday's $25 of 2 weeks of groceries Farmer's Market Shopping Trip (click here for Budget Vegan Farmer's Market Shopping Post)

I thought of this recipe on the spot when I was jonesing for a vegan pizza made from my Farmer's market finds.

This is a satisfying Farmer's Market Vegan Heirloom Pizza made from a vegan home-made pizza crust. I froze the leftovers, and reheated a week later in my oven, and the beautiful flavors melded even more!! I served with a side individual small dipping bowl of organic pasta sauce. The pasta sauce was a great dipping sauce accompaniment to the pizza.

This recipe uses heirloom tomatoes, heirloom zucchini, regular tomatoes, oriental peppers, and more vegetables purchased from my local farmers market. Besides supporting your local farmer where you can purchase organic and non-GMO vegetables, another advantage of shopping at your local farmer's market is that you can find heirloom vegetables which are hard to find in grocery stores or some whole foods markets.

Farmer's Market Vegan Flat-Bread Pizza with Home-Made Vegan Garlic-Basil Pizza Dough

Prep and Baking Time: 50 minutes to 1 hr
Servings 2-4 servings

Vegan Pizza Dough:
2 cups organic-vegan wheat flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp Agave Syrup or 1/2 tsp Date Paste
1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp ground garlic
1 tbsp dry basil

Pizza Toppings:
1 heirloom zucchini of choice
1 jalapeno peppers or 4-5 small oriental peppers ( I left my peppers with seeds and veins-but this may be a little hot for you).
1/2 onion, sliced
6 small sweet red, yellow, and orange peppers, sliced
1 heirloom zebra tomato or green tomato, sliced in rounds
1 red tomato diced
1 bunch (about a handful) of fresh parsley
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

Pizza Dough Directions:
1. Dry Mixture: Place flour, garlic, basil, and salt in a bowl. Mix.
2. Liquid Mixture: In a separate bowl, mix warm water, olive oil, agave syrup, and yeast. Make a well in the center of the flour and salt mixture, and add this liquid mixture.
3. Mix dry and wet ingredients in a kneading action until fully mixed. Form a ball in a the bowl
4. Set aside the ball in the bowl and cover. Let it rise for 30 minutes

Baking Pizza:
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F
2. Place pizza dough ball on a well oiled pizza pan, and stretch out to desired length. This makes a flat crust pizza.
3. Add toppings in whatever order you prefer. I placed my tomatoes sliced in rounds on first, then zucchini rounds, then other ingredients.
4. Place parsley on last
5. Drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on pizza
6. Bake pizza for 20- 25 minutes, until done.
7. Slice as desired in half or 4 slices

~ Sister Vegetarian

No comments: