Many meals or side meals can be made into full meals or extended to make other meals. For example, look at pesto. Pesto is traditionally served over pasta; however, take a look at the following alternative meal suggestions for pesto that add flavor and spice to any vegetarian or vegan meal whether you are transitioning to a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, or already are a vegetarian/vegan.
Note: I make my pesto home-made which not only saves on money, but you use fresh ingredients from your farmer's market, grocery store, or whole foods store.
Suggestions for Pesto:
- Raw Vegan Pizza Topping
- Topping for vegan or vegetarian pizza before placing the pizza in the oven to bake
- Mix with a pizza crust dough before baking the crust to make a Focaccia type pizza crust or just Focaccia bread
- Mexican style wrap with chickpeas, avocado, and tomatoes: Combine 1 cup of pesto with 1/2 cup of chickpeas, and 1 mashed Hass Avocado. Spread mixture on a wheat tortilla. Top with tomatoes, and roll tortilla. Slice in half. Serve with blue tortilla chips and salsa on the side.
- Raw pasta: Slice collard leaves very thin and top with pesto for a raw vegan spaghetti
- Appetizer: Pesto topped with a layer of tomatoes on a heated-garlic Italian Bread that is heated until crusty. Serve with a chilled glass of white wine such as a herbal Sauvignon Blanc or mineral-earthy Pinot Grigio.
- Place in a soup for seasoning
- Oven fries: Sprinkle pesto on raw sweet potatoes, red potatoes, or white potatoes. Place in oven to make oven fries
- Serve on top of a vegetarian or vegan burger. the burger can be a bean based burger; or, a vegetable burger made from eggplant or Portobello mushroom
~ Sister Vegetarian