What to Expect from Sister Vegetarian Recipes...

Sister Vegetarian knows the importance of nutrition without breaking the bank. In lieu of this, I keep the meals to a cost that anyone can create and still stick to a budget. I also include raw vegan meals. Sister has acquired a Raw Vegan Chef Certfication through The Raw Food Network-Ekaya Institute of Living Food Education. I love to cook meals from Africa, India, the Middle East, Greece, Italy, and the list goes on. When I cook, I call it traveling the world without leaving my home. I see cooking as a way to experiment and learn about other cultures, as I also learn more about my roots.

Enjoy the meals. Enjoy the travel. No Passport Required. Just an appetite for delicious and healthy meals.

Peace & Love, Sister Vegetarian.

Monday, January 23, 2012

Donna's Tuscany Peasant Soup

Donna's Tuscany Peasant Soup

The Tuscany region in Italy is known for eating many heart soups and stews with beans. Various types of white beans and cranberry beans can be found in their soups. On a cold rainy Sunday and the last of the championship NFL games before the Super Bowl 46, I decided to have a hearty, warm and filling Tuscany Peasant-Style soup that even cold weather teams The NY Giants and The New England Patriots Football players would probably agree would keep them energized, warm, and filled up in practice for the Super Bowl.

I basically took what was in my refrigerator and cupboard...grabbed a couple of fresh mixed with 1 bag of frozen vegetables...and made a peasant-style soup. After all, peasant style;e soups are made from whatever we have available, and this is what I did to make a hearty and economical soup at .68 cents per large 2 cup serving each. I was able to get 10 LARGE servings from this soup! Compare this soup to purchasing soup for your day lunch at maybe $3.99 for a small soup you heat up in the microwave. I placed this soup in individual containers and stored in my refrigerator for a quick lunch or dinner.

Donna's Tuscany Peasant Soup
cost: $6.80 for total soup
servings: 10
cost per servings: .68 cents per serving
Cooking Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:
1 Lb bag of dry mixed navy beans (white beans) and white pinto beans (rinsed and soaked overnight)
10 cups of water
2 medium cucumbers, skin peeled and diced
1 14-1/2 oz. can of Italian Style diced tomatoes
1 6 oz. can of tomato paste
5 medium carrots, (cleaned, skin left on, chopped)
3 medium-large russet potatoes (cleaned, skin left on, diced)
5-6 oriental peppers, diced
12 oz of frozen green peas
1 cup of chopped celery
1 small onion chopped
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 lb mustard greens (washed and chopped roughly) *note: mustard greens are added to the soup the last 15 minutes of simmering

Directions:
1. Rinse beans and drain after soaking overnight
2. Place beans in large pot with 10 cups of water and boil
3. After beans start to boil, add all the above ingredients except the mustard greens
4. Let the mixture come to a boil, then let simmer for 45 mins.
5. after 45 mins, add the mustard greens and simmer for 15 minutes.
6. Serve in Italian style pasta/soup dishes or your favorite bowl. I also served my soup with my Mexican Style cornbread found in my book Sister Vegetarian's 31 Days of Drama-Free Living.

No comments: